Sign up for our newsletter
Technology / AI and automation

Sony and NEC form optical drive joint venture

The two companies will spin off their respective optical drive businesses on April 1, before establishing Sony NEC Optiarc on April 3, 2006. Majority ownership will rest with Sony who will own 55% of the company with NEC holding the remaining 45%.

The new company will take over both Sony’s Blu-ray operations as well as NEC’s HD-DVD focused enterprise, giving it a strong market position no matter which technology ultimately prevails.

White papers from our partners


This article is from the CBROnline archive: some formatting and images may not be present.

CBR Staff Writer

CBR Online legacy content.