View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. Technology
March 29, 1996


By CBR Staff Writer

Japanese hardware companies are major players on the international stage, but it is much harder for a software distributor like Softbank Corp to make is mark. Nevertheless, the company made it clear that it is not going to take no for an answer when it bought Ziff Communications, and the next step in its campaign to conquer America is a joint venture with Sega Enterprises Ltd to market arcade and home video-game software in the US. The venture, provisionally called Sega Entertainment Inc, will be capitalized at $26.5 million and employ 30 people by year-end. The new company will be capitalized at $26.5 million, of which Sega’s U.S. subsidiary will hold 75% and Softbank’s U.S. holding company the remaining 25%. Sega and Softbank plan to modify Sega’s video-games, including 3D driving games called Sega Rally and Daytona USA, to run on personal computers. The first title will be released in early June and 24 others are planned by end 1996. Although PC games are considered successful if more than 100,000 copies are sold per title, Sega and Softbank are still aiming at sales of 200,000-300,000 copies per title, with a sales target of $50 million in the

Content from our partners
Scan and deliver
GenAI cybersecurity: "A super-human analyst, with a brain the size of a planet."
Cloud, AI, and cyber security – highlights from DTX Manchester

Websites in our network
Select and enter your corporate email address Tech Monitor's research, insight and analysis examines the frontiers of digital transformation to help tech leaders navigate the future. Our Changelog newsletter delivers our best work to your inbox every week.
  • CIO
  • CTO
  • CISO
  • CSO
  • CFO
  • CDO
  • CEO
  • Architect Founder
  • MD
  • Director
  • Manager
  • Other
Visit our privacy policy for more information about our services, how Progressive Media Investments may use, process and share your personal data, including information on your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.