Sign up for our newsletter
Technology / AI and automation

PSION WINS DEAL TO SUPPLY DELL WITH 56K PC CARD MODEMS

UK handheld computer maker Psion Plc’s Psion Dacom Plc subsidiary has signed an agreement with Dell Computer Corp to supply the computer giant with 56K personal computer card modems. The agreement will operate on a worldwide basis, extending an original deal dating back to March 1995 that covered just Europe. The new agreement will enable Psion Dacom to broaden its interest in the US, building on the four person presence it has in its newly established Massachusetts office. Psion Dacom will continue to ship the modem PC cards, called Gold Card to Dell’s hub in Ireland for distribution in Europe, but will now also ship the cards for international consumption to Dell in the US. The international cards are called Gold Card 56K. Psion Dacom is a wholly owned subsidiary of Psion, which purchased the modem card company in 1989, and works out of headquarters in Milton Keynes. The company is busy concentrating on expansion at the moment and Psion Dacom marketing manager David Curl anticipates the new Dell deal will enable it to significantly expand on its current annual growth rate of 30%, although exact financial details have not been revealed. Dell will bundle the PC modem cards in to its personal computers, and will establish itself as Psion Dacom’s largest customer. The company has agreements with several big names, but will only talk about Toshiba Corp which has been a Psion Dacom customer since early this year. Psion Dacom’s operations are split with 60% of business generated through the channel and from Value Added Reseller agreements, the remaining 40% through Original Equipment Manufacturer deals.

White papers from our partners


This article is from the CBROnline archive: some formatting and images may not be present.

CBR Staff Writer

CBR Online legacy content.