Sign up for our newsletter - Navigating the horizon of business technology​
Technology / AI and automation

MS-DOS, THEN UNIX, THEN OS/2 ARE THE ONE-TWO-THREE IN COMDEX POLL

According to a poll carried out by Byte magazine at Comdex last month, the most popular operating system on desktop computers by the end of 1992 will be an extended version of MS-DOS. Around 34% of those polled anticipated that MS-DOS with an added front end environment such as Windows or Desqview would be the most likely candidate for future use, with standard MS-DOS accounting for a further 19% of the vote. The Unix vote was similarly split between extended, graphical versions and standard Unix, with 19% voting for Unix with a graphical front-end such as AT&T’s Open Look, and 10% opting for an unadorned version. The total Unix vote thus accounted for nearly a third of all votes cast, at 29%, leaving OS/2 trailing behind on 18%. Votes for the Mac operating system amounted to only 3%, a score partly accounted for by the dominance of Intel-based products that is usually in evidence at Comdex, something the organisers hope to redress at the Spring show in Chicago, which will include a special MacDEC section.

White papers from our partners


This article is from the CBROnline archive: some formatting and images may not be present.

CBR Staff Writer

CBR Online legacy content.