View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. Technology
September 16, 1990

DISAGREEMENT WITH THE US COMPANY PUTS WORDSTAR FRANCE SA INTO RECEIVERSHIP

By CBR Staff Writer

Wordstar International’s French subsidiary Wordstar France SA has gone into receivership after falling out with its parent company, reports 01 Informatique. Back in 1987, Wordstar’s exclusive distributor in France was a company called SND Micropro, which experienced such enormous growth on the back of products like Wordstar Professional, Wordstar 2000 and Easy that by the end of 1989, Wordstar International had taken a 26% stake and renamed it Wordstar France. But the problems started when the San Rafael, California company decided that it wanted the remaining 74% still in the hands of SND Micropro founders that didn’t want to sell. In retaliation for the rebuttal, claims Wordstar France, its parent company stopped supplying the new versions of the software announced in the first quarter of the year. Sales instantly plummeted, and the French firm was forced into liquidation on August 1. Determined to continue its activity in France, Wordstar International made a bid to buy the company back from the receivers, but was rejected by the French law courts, who argued that the crust of bread offered by the American did not take into any account the investments made to establish a distribution network in France. The result, according to Wordstar France, is an impasse, not least because costs of setting up a completely new distribution network in the country appears to be too great. Ever optmistic, Wordstar International’s financial director Jim Dalrymple says nonetheless that the two are still in negotiations.

Content from our partners
GenAI cybersecurity: "A super-human analyst, with a brain the size of a planet."
Cloud, AI, and cyber security – highlights from DTX Manchester
Infosecurity Europe 2024: Rethink the power of infosecurity

Websites in our network
Select and enter your corporate email address Tech Monitor's research, insight and analysis examines the frontiers of digital transformation to help tech leaders navigate the future. Our Changelog newsletter delivers our best work to your inbox every week.
  • CIO
  • CTO
  • CISO
  • CSO
  • CFO
  • CDO
  • CEO
  • Architect Founder
  • MD
  • Director
  • Manager
  • Other
Visit our privacy policy for more information about our services, how Progressive Media Investments may use, process and share your personal data, including information on your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.
THANK YOU