View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. Technology
March 4, 1997updated 05 Sep 2016 1:09pm

BULGARIA SELLS 80% OF ITS DISK HEAD MAKER TO DRS AHEAD

By CBR Staff Writer

Bulgaria’s privatization commission has sold an 80% stake in Magnetic Heads, located in Bulgaria’s southwest town of Razlog, to Silicon Valley company DRS Ahead Technology Inc for $340,000, after sales to another US buyer twice fell through. The other 20% will be offered at preferential prices to company employees. The plant produces magnetic heads for tape drives, disk drives, card readers and writers and magnetic sensors. Revenue last year amounted to 6,200m levs, about $2.5m, with 95% of output exported to the US and Western Europe. DRS Ahead has agreed to invest $2.3m in the company over the next five years, to preserve the existing 92 jobs, and to increase employment at the plant to 139 by the end of the period. Bulgaria is in urgent need of cash from privatizations to meet its huge foreign debt payments.

Content from our partners
Green for go: Transforming trade in the UK
Manufacturers are switching to personalised customer experience amid fierce competition
How many ends in end-to-end service orchestration?

Websites in our network
Select and enter your corporate email address Tech Monitor's research, insight and analysis examines the frontiers of digital transformation to help tech leaders navigate the future. Our Changelog newsletter delivers our best work to your inbox every week.
  • CIO
  • CTO
  • CISO
  • CSO
  • CFO
  • CDO
  • CEO
  • Architect Founder
  • MD
  • Director
  • Manager
  • Other
Visit our privacy policy for more information about our services, how New Statesman Media Group may use, process and share your personal data, including information on your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.
THANK YOU