View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. Technology
April 2, 2006

Blue Cross and Blue Shield implements claims adjudication system

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina has implemented a claims adjudication system to process its institutional and professional claims.

By CBR Staff Writer

The system filters claims, suspending those it feels need further action and routing them to process automation software supplied by Image Process Design. Previously, these suspended claims were routed to knowledge workers who evaluated associated claim information to determine whether or not the suspended claim should be paid.

With the new system in place Blue Cross and Blue Shield North Carolina (BCBSNC) says that 85% of the claims are now being adjudicated automatically, without human intervention. The remaining 15% of these suspended claims are routed, without noticeable delay, for human attention. Blue Cross and Blue Shield estimates that the savings per claim processed generate annual savings of approximately $250,000.

Sherman Owens, vice president of quality and compliance for BCBSNC, stated, Our claims staff at BCBSNC is very excited about the new process. All suspended claims are already managed by IPD’s software. The Automation Engine module retains our complete control over claims work in process, but allows us to seamlessly add greater levels of process automation and specialized rules.

He added. The next logical step is for BCBSNC to utilize the Automation Engine module for more suspended claim types. We expect to save well over $1 million per year in our claims operations with just the next several suspended claim types.

Content from our partners
Unlocking growth through hybrid cloud: 5 key takeaways
How businesses can safeguard themselves on the cyber frontline
How hackers’ tactics are evolving in an increasingly complex landscape

Websites in our network
Select and enter your corporate email address Tech Monitor's research, insight and analysis examines the frontiers of digital transformation to help tech leaders navigate the future. Our Changelog newsletter delivers our best work to your inbox every week.
  • CIO
  • CTO
  • CISO
  • CSO
  • CFO
  • CDO
  • CEO
  • Architect Founder
  • MD
  • Director
  • Manager
  • Other
Visit our privacy policy for more information about our services, how New Statesman Media Group may use, process and share your personal data, including information on your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.
THANK YOU