View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. Technology
May 9, 1994


By CBR Staff Writer

Yes but for how much longer? The Wall Street Journal dubs 1994 the year of the server, recalling the array of personal computer companies that launched servers in March, and quotes analyst Todd Bakar of Hambrecht & Quist saying that the gross profit margin on sales of servers averages 30% to 40%, compared with 15% to 25% for desktop personal computers – in the case of Compaq Computer Corp, servers account for just 5% of the company’s total personal computer shipments but 25% to 30% of its profits, says Susan Frankle, analyst at International Data Corp: the attractions of those margins must mean that every personal computer maker capable of doing so will soon have its own server line, and bang go margins.

Topics in this article :
Websites in our network
Select and enter your corporate email address Tech Monitor's research, insight and analysis examines the frontiers of digital transformation to help tech leaders navigate the future. Our Changelog newsletter delivers our best work to your inbox every week.
  • CIO
  • CTO
  • CISO
  • CSO
  • CFO
  • CDO
  • CEO
  • Architect Founder
  • MD
  • Director
  • Manager
  • Other
Visit our privacy policy for more information about our services, how New Statesman Media Group may use, process and share your personal data, including information on your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.