View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you

Tech workers know their worth as they demand higher salaries

Younger workers are better at negotiating on salary.

By CBR Staff Writer

New research has revealed that amid skills shortage, the new generation of technology professionals entering the workforce are demanding more pay by recognising the value they can bring to organisations.

The proportion of tech workers placing top importance on salary has reached 22% in 2015, when compared to 18% in 2012.

According to the research, the average size of the tech workforce has expanded quickly, with 71,000 more employees working in tech specialist roles in 2014 compared to in 2013.

There were 1,278,000 tech workers in the UK in 2014, of which 49% employed in the technology sector itself and the rest 51% had technology roles in other industries.

Randstad Technologies surveyed 10,728 UK workers and found that younger workers are better at negotiating on salary.

One in three (31%) 18 to 24 year olds said that low pay was one of the factors behind their decision to look for a new job, compared to 29% of overall respondents.

Randstad Technologies managing director Ruth Jacobs said: "The technology sector is rocketing into the stratosphere.

Content from our partners
How to turn the evidence hackers leave behind against them
Why food manufacturers must pursue greater visibility and agility
How to define an empowered chief data officer

"More start-ups are popping up throughout the country, and companies of all sizes are realising the importance of cyber security roles and big data analytics and hiring specialists in these fields.

"But this in turn has changed the tone of the jobs market – tech workers are now much more in demand and can command higher salaries than ever before.

"Employers have stepped up their game to attract talent by offering attractive salary packages, but they are being slower to recognise and reward the broader skill-sets that their established workers have built up through years of hard slog following the recession."

Websites in our network
Select and enter your corporate email address Tech Monitor's research, insight and analysis examines the frontiers of digital transformation to help tech leaders navigate the future. Our Changelog newsletter delivers our best work to your inbox every week.
  • CIO
  • CTO
  • CISO
  • CSO
  • CFO
  • CDO
  • CEO
  • Architect Founder
  • MD
  • Director
  • Manager
  • Other
Visit our privacy policy for more information about our services, how New Statesman Media Group may use, process and share your personal data, including information on your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.
THANK YOU