View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. Hardware
November 13, 2017

Qualcomm set to reject $103bn Broadcom bid

Will Qualcomm go ahead with the takeover, or put up a fight for a bigger lump sum?

By April Slattery

Just last week bidding begun as Broadcom attempted to take over rival chipset maker Qualcomm in a multi-billion dollar deal, which is now expected to be rejected.

Despite $103bn on the table, Qualcomm is set to reject Broadcom’s offer with sources stating that the bid ‘undervalued’ the company, according to reports from Reuters.

Furthermore, the sources said that the offer does not price the uncertainty associated with getting the deal approved by regulators.

Reuters also reported that Broadcom is preparing a slate of directors by 8 December – Qualcomm’s nomination deadline. This would then allow Qualcomm shareholders to cote to replace the company’s board and force it to engage in negotiations with Broadcom.

Qualcomm set to reject $103bn Broadcom bid

Qualcom expected to reject rival chipmakers bid.

Sources also said that Broadcom would be prepared to up its offer for its wireless rival, with increased debt financing also a viable option.

Broadcom’s unsolicited all-cash-and-shares bid would see Qualcomm shareholders get $70 per share, with $60 in cash and $10 in stocks.

“Broadcom’s proposal is compelling for stockholders and stakeholders in both companies. Our proposal provides Qualcomm stockholders with a substantial and immediate premium in cash for their shares, as well as the opportunity to participate in the upside potential of the combined company,” said Hock Tan, President and Chief Executive Officer of Broadcom.

Content from our partners
Green for go: Transforming trade in the UK
Manufacturers are switching to personalised customer experience amid fierce competition
How many ends in end-to-end service orchestration?
Qualcomm beats the odds in 5G test
Chipmaker taps into autonomous cars with LG
Qualcomm takes to the track with Mercedes & smart tech

In what could shape up to be one for the biggest takeover battles ever seen, Qualcomm has already reacted to the initial bid by Broadcom, saying that it would review the proposal and act in the best interests of its shareholders.

The move by Broadcom is an astute one, with Qualcomm in a vulnerable position thanks to its shares being held in a legal dispute with Apple. Added to this are concerns that last year’s $38 billion offer for NXP Semiconductors may have to be increased by the company.

 

Topics in this article : , , , , ,
Websites in our network
Select and enter your corporate email address Tech Monitor's research, insight and analysis examines the frontiers of digital transformation to help tech leaders navigate the future. Our Changelog newsletter delivers our best work to your inbox every week.
  • CIO
  • CTO
  • CISO
  • CSO
  • CFO
  • CDO
  • CEO
  • Architect Founder
  • MD
  • Director
  • Manager
  • Other
Visit our privacy policy for more information about our services, how New Statesman Media Group may use, process and share your personal data, including information on your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.
THANK YOU