View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. Technology
  2. Cybersecurity
February 4, 2016updated 04 Sep 2016 10:34pm

Google to fight terrorism with anti-radicalisation links in extremist search results

News: The company tells plans of new scheme to UK home affairs committee hearing.

By Vinod

Google is experimenting with a new programme that diverts UK users searching for content related to extremism to anti-radicalisation pages.

Google senior manager for public policy and communications, Anthony House, told UK lawmakers that the initiative aims to counter online radicalisation and reduce the online influence of groups like Islamic State.

The Guardian quoted House as saying, "We should get the bad stuff down, but it’s also extremely important that people are able to find good information, that when people are feeling isolated, that when they go online, they find a community of hope, not a community of harm."

House noted that the company removed 14 million videos from YouTube in 2014 due to several reasons, which also include terrorist content.

Representatives of Facebook and Twitter were also present at a counter-extremism hearing in the UK Parliament.

Google, which is working on counter-narratives globally, is also running a programme to make counter-radicalisation videos easier to identify online.

The BBC reports that about 700 British citizens have traveled to Iraq and Syria to join jihadist organisations, with majority of them aged under 20.

Content from our partners
Green for go: Transforming trade in the UK
Manufacturers are switching to personalised customer experience amid fierce competition
How many ends in end-to-end service orchestration?

The mobile messaging service, Telegram, blocked 78 Isis-related channels that the terrorist group used to communicate with other members.

Islamic State used Telegram as a promotional and recruitment platform as well as to claim responsibility for last year’s Paris attacks, in which about 129 people were killed.

Lat November, UK Chancellor George Osborne said that Britain will hit back at cyber attacks from Isis or other terrorist organisations.

The Chancellor noted that Britain will no longer remain defensive, but offensive, in the face of such threats.

The government committed to invest in the National Offensive Cyber Programme, which allows and offers a dedicated ability to counter-attack in cyberspace. Britain plans to double its spending on cyber security to about £1.9bn.

Meanwhile, US Presidential candidate Donald Trump has repeated calls to penetrate the internet in fight against Isis.

Trump said: "We should be using the most brilliant minds to penetrate the internet. I would certainly be open to closing the internet in areas where we are at war with somebody."

 

Websites in our network
Select and enter your corporate email address Tech Monitor's research, insight and analysis examines the frontiers of digital transformation to help tech leaders navigate the future. Our Changelog newsletter delivers our best work to your inbox every week.
  • CIO
  • CTO
  • CISO
  • CSO
  • CFO
  • CDO
  • CEO
  • Architect Founder
  • MD
  • Director
  • Manager
  • Other
Visit our privacy policy for more information about our services, how New Statesman Media Group may use, process and share your personal data, including information on your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.
THANK YOU